Nov 28, 2004

Camo for the whole family!

Busy day today. Got up and finished my sociology report this morning while Grandma Perkins went to sunday school and church. After she got back, I helped her move some Christmas decorations to the house from the storage shed. I emailed my paper to the professor and got a response that it would be fine to turn it in a day after I said I was going to (monday), so that worked out nicely. Talked to mom and dad in Moscow this afternoon; they're going to fly out to Oklahoma after they spend some time in Utah. Since they had to move to a new room they havn't had any internet access, so that's why mom isn't updating her blog. Not sure if/when they'll visit Phoenix. Made me realize I'm leaving for Moscow in 18 days. In that time, I have to make a portfolio for architecture (not the upper division one, but a practice), a portfolio of formZ work, write a paper on Religious architecture, and prepare for two final exams.
I dont think I'm going to have a lot of time for my Student Encyclopedia of Architecture. Something to do over winter break, I guess.
I feel like I'm jumping from one crunch to another. At least Oklahoma was a nice break.

Anyway, after dark, Grandma and I hit the wild nightlife of Oklahoma City. We first went to Pro Bass Shop, an amazing store for a variety of reasons. It's a massive store, sized about the same as a WalMart supercenter. It's basically a popular and an REI rolled into one, with a beefed up fishing and hunting side. They had an entire quarter of the store devoted to camoflauge. They had hats with camo mesh, camo sweats, camo tents, camo camelbacks (camobacks?) and even camo pjamamas for the little ones. Lots of guns. An entire wall almost of rifles and shotguns. Apart from the outdoor gear, they also sold general clothing, fishing boats, and electronics. However the think that struck me most was that they had stuffed animals EVERYWHERE around the store in thier natural enviornments: bison roamed with wolves above men's sweaters, ducks flew above the gun rack, and there was a giant aquarium in the back filled with trout and catfish, one of which still with a hook in its mouth. They had a Remington hat I was going to pick up for Ben for Christmas, but they didn't have Winchester or Mossin Nagant.

After that, we went on a free canal trip around bricktown, where they showed the lights and the new development following the anchor building of a Harkins theater. It was cool, but not too cold. When we crossed under the "echo bridge" the guide shouted "boomer!" and the people on the boat shouted "sooner!" and they repeated it three times. Oklahoma!

Next stop was the World of Trees, a bunch of fake trees decorated by various countrie's representatives. The French tree was decortaedby the French Club at this one school, and they had a Germans from Russia tree which was decorated by the Germans from Russia Organization. I had more fun reading about which organization made the tree rather than the trees themselves. The chinese tree was only decorated in tiny southern chinese style shirts. I didn't even know they had Christmas in China.
There were some other organizations trees, too, like the woodturners guild had some really nice decorations, and the firefighters tree used yellow caution tape for ribbon.

Then we walked to the Myriad Gardens, which had a really interesting building, a perfectly round massive cylender lying on its side, spanning a narrow lake. The exterior was a steel frame with glass panels, and apparently it was the garden's tropical conservatory. Unfortunately, it was closed. Last stop was Zio's, for a bite of pizza, before heading back to the house.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende