Nov 26, 2004

Cornbread and Milk

Got up with the chickens this morning at 7:15 AM. Its the earliest I've gotten up all semeseter, not counting the times I've worked through the dawn. Grandma Perkins and I went down to a giant rummage sale to set up a church women's group tables. They were selling popcorn kernals with sodas, and other baked goods and miscillaneous items. The sale had been set up in the gutted building which housed a WalMart which had moved across the street in a SuperCenter format, but a miniature version. Inside, there were 60 booths, all selling various heartland Americana, from crochetted bible covers, ceder porch swings, homemade jams, jigsaw cut crosses, old clothes, pillows, to indian embroidered towels. There was even a taiwanese gentleman who was selling intricately carved wood animals and cork landscapes. They looked like they'd just been taken from the streets of the tourist markets in Beijing. After I helped them set up, we went to Sonic for breakfast. Later that day, Grandma made hot rolls, and we took some of those to the women working the booth. We also stopped by WalMart for a bit to see what their specials were. Nothing spectacular.
We also went to go pick up a smoked turkey from the Glazed Ham Company. After we got back, late in the afternoon, Grandma asked me if I wanted cornbread and milk. I said sure, foolishly imagining I'd get a sice of cornbread with perhaps a bit of butter, and a glass of milk. Instead I was served a mug with some cornbread covered in milk with a spoon. Grandpa tucked right in, saying it was good when he just wanted a little something. It wasn't bad, I have to say. I'll have to remember that one for when I have some stale cornbread left over. Worked some more on my sociology paper, and took some pictures. I put a few up at http://www.desertcrow.deviantart.com. It started a little cold this morning, and its always really windy, but it warmed up a lot and the sky was as blue as Arizona's this afternoon. Well, I've got a big day tomorrow with the cousins and relatives, so its best I head off to bed shortly.

1 comment:

Nancy Case said...

Remember that homemade applebutter makes a great Christmas present for 15 year old brothers!

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende