Nov 9, 2004

sausage jumbalaya and studio fever

Today (technically, yesterday) I got up and went to my architecture lecture where we focused on the buildings of Louis Kahn, probably best known for his Salk Institute in Southern California, and in Sociology, the teacher droned on about the sociology of religion, a subject in which I am taking a semester of classes. In other news, I got my thanksgiving travel arrangements made, which involves leaving thursday and getting back very late monday night. However, it was a really good deal and I would like to maximize my time in Oklahoma. I will miss the aforementioned lectures, but we're not having any tests in them (so far as I know). After class I grabbed a slice of Pizza, and went to Nationwide Vision. After much deliberation, I picked out a black plastic frame with a slighly rounded boxy shape. Five to seven days and I should be finally getting out of these horrid safety glasses. Napped for about three hours, then got to work making Jumbalaya. Took two onions to start with, and added celery, garlic, rice, green pepper, andouille, oregano, thyme, tabasco, cayenne, crushed tomato, chicken broth and shrimp. Took a long time to prep and cook, but it made a lot of food. It was really good, but it needs something like a fresh herb or spice on top. The girls upstairs brought down half of a birthday cake for us, (Amy's boyfriend is coming to town) and so we had some of that for dessert. On to studio.
Got to studio at about 9 PM, worked 8 hours straight to leave at 5:00 AM. It staggers me not only how much time passes and how little work I seem to get done, but also how I barely notice the time at all. What else can one do for 8 hours straight without becoming bored, hungry, or otherwise distracted?
To my credit, I made an excellent study model with material exploration, and included a basic contextual site, all rendered at eighth inch scale. I actually wore out my mp3 player battery from listening to it for so long. After a long time in studio, especially when you;re working alone, you tend to suffer from psychic breaks I call studio fever. It's the result of sleep deprivation, mental fatigue, intense and prolonged focus, and isolation. Symptoms include wild dancing and singing to music, talking to one's self and answering back, multitudes of craft errors, and a general loss of touch with outside reality.
So now here I am at 5:48 AM with a class in five hours. So to bed and sanity.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende