Jan 20, 2005

"So It Begins"

The result of the bike story: I returned the bike parts last night for a full refund. To get the right-sized wheels, I'd end up spending at least $160. I decided to make do with my other bike, the street bike, since 1) I'm living in theft-prone Tempe and I dont want to sink more money into a bike which may be stolen in the next few years. 2) I'm not sure its worth it, as the bike is 9 years old, bought in Singapore. 3) Two bikes is a little redundant. I'm storing the frame as taylor may want a bike when he goes to college in a few years, and because it still belongs to my dad. So I got the racing bike back in top shape with a new front tire for twelve dollars.
Began class today at 8:40 AM with another droning semester of Papa Smurf, who introduced our new project: revamping a cemetary. Afterwards, went to our architectural construction class with Prof. Hoffman. He's highly recommended by Uncle David, but he formerly taught the class to third year students in the program, so I think he's dumbed it down a bit too much. Fittingly, the course is extremely structured.
After a long break of a few hours over my lunch time, I took the street bike in to the Schwinn stop for the tire work and ate a sandwich at Jack in the box.
Studio is going to be especially challenging this semeseter. There's 18 students, a completely full class, which means one on one time in desk crit is going to be in short supply. The instructor is Indian, recently licenced and working on starting his own firm. He seems much more seasoned, knowlegeable, and practical than the last studio instructor. He's also going to be much more demanding, and even though its going to mean more work and less sleep, I appreciate it since my work needs to be at its best before I turn in the portfolio. Our first assignment is three cardboard models, three printed comptuer drawings, and assorted processwork. It's going to be a hard semester. I think I may really appreciate my fiction class. Seth made the comment as we were leaving "So it begins." It gave me the feeling that by the end, many would be left dying in the mud.
I came home and crawled into bed. At about seven, Jen and I biked to the fitness building to this really old used gym. It looks like a 20 year old high school gym. Lots of girls, about a dozen or so more girls than guys. Almost all the guys were like me, with their girlfriends. There were a few unattached guys, but not many. We leanrned the basic Merenge first, then the basic salsa step. We're supposed to practice it everywhere to make it possible without thinking. I for one really need the practice. Despite what many may think, my grace is completely lost when there is a rythm or step to follow. One upshot of the overabundance of girls is that the girls cycle in and out, while the guys get constant practicce. As we have the hardest work to do, and generally lack the dancing skills, we need it. This class is really going to challenge me. At least it only meets once a week.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende