Jan 31, 2005

A taste of things to come....

Hard weekend. Saturday morning I got up at 6:30 to take a group out to habitat to build, hopefully for one of the last times. I dont have the time to do this anymore. We framed a house from the bare concrete, constructing all the exterior walls and most of the interior walls with 2x4 studs and precut and marked head and foot boards. We suffered through a short bout of hail, some brief and intenense rain, but the weather cleared up enough for us to enjoy the catered lunch. They had a BBQ company bring out cole slaw, baked beans with ham, and shredded beef brisket. Really good stuff. Anyway, spent the rest of the weekend working on my architecture project 1, phase 1. We had to make a structure from a block of stacked cardboard, the final model 4" by 4" by 32". I completely underestimated the amount of time it would take to make this. I had to cut out the 4x32 pieces, mark each one with the lines, make the cuts, then glue them together. I had to do this with 35 pieces. By the numbers -
hours of sleep last night: 4
cost of large paper sheet: 9.5
models: 1
charcoal drawings: 6
process book pages: 0 (didn't matter too much, issue wasn't raised at review)
time of wakening: 0700
time of class: 134o
linear feet of sketchwork: 7
Today the studio instructor reiterated "say goodbye to your friends, you'll see them this summer. If you want to socialize, do it from six pm to midnight on Fridays after studio."
I was unprepared for the review, which made me greatly dismayed. My charcoals weren't shaded with shadows, and I had no pages from the process book. I guess thats the purpose of a first project like this, wake up call. This semester is going to be a fight all the way. On the plus side I got a lot of positive comments about my design.

1 comment:

Nancy Case said...

Too bad about Habitat. I was wondering when you would have to give it up because of the architecture course work.

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende