Feb 10, 2005

More studio stuff

I'm finally set up here for my studio work. I have my drafting table, an extra board with my mayline, all the pens and pencils I need, and ad markers and prismacolors for rendering. Tuesday night, I worked until 4 AM on the cemetery design. Wednesday is my busiest day of the week. I have Smurf lecture at 8:40, architectural construction at 9:40 (a two hour class), studio at 1:40 (a three-hour class) and salsa at 7:30 (another 2.5 hours), which gets me back home around 10 PM. At least today is a thursday which means I have on 12:15 and nothing else. So today is my get stuff done day. Today I also need to pick up the packed bike from the bike shop, and we need to go salsa dancing tonight as part of our homework.

My studio teacher is starting to get on our nerves. I think the primary reason he's here teaching is because we're a captive audiance. Every class he'll launch into a triage about 1) how lousy American architecture programs are (he's Indian) 2) How much work he does and how busy he is, and 3) how we should be spending 24/7 on architecture, and how even that isn't enough time to get it all done. He's a good teacher, he knows what he's doing and he won't skimp on the criticism, which is what makes him good, but the unmitigated ego is a little wearing.

Architectural construction is going ok. It's pretty dry material, although Dan Hoffman is always excited to teach it, regardless of a third of the class nodding off. It doesn't help that its right after Smurf's lecture, or that he reviews what we did last class for half an hour first. Our first project is due monday, studying how heat intereact with walls, materials etc.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende