Feb 11, 2005

Tango on Speed

I took Jen to Club Tropicana last night, part of our homework for Intro to Salsa. The place in south scottsdale was a dive. Pretty clean, but with pool tables and a tiny, tiny dance floor. The majority of what they played was Merengue, which has a simpler two-step basic. Merengue is fast, the music has a much stronger beat to it, and it looks like the tango on speed. I'm glad we're learning it. Stupidly, I'd worn a long sleeve Kennith Cole shirt to dance in and as it was polyester, I was shortly drenched in sweat. I need to remember to wear cooler clothes. It's odd but I'd never predicted that I'd dress up to go clubbing, then actually dance. We practiced a little salsa while we were there, but there was so little room on the dance floor we decided to head back to practice at the apartments. Our salsa teacher was there stamping the cards to show we'd been. She's this far-out woman of about fifty or so. Incredible dancer, but she drinks, smokes, and swears like a sailor. Anyway, we have our mid-term the next two classes. We have a routine that we do, about 20 steps. There's a lot to think about as one has to consider footwork, timing, following the music, hands, and turning. As Salsa is all about the man leading the woman, the man does 90% of the work.
Today, I went to Best Buy and picked up 50' of CAT5 cable. My wireless has been running at 1-5 Mbps, and I was sick of paying for high speed with top speeds of 11 Mbps with the wireless. I ran the cable from the modem in Ben's room to my laptop. I need to get some of those clips that nail into the wall to secure it off the floor, at least in Ben's room.
It's been sprinkling here non-stop since yesterday. It's really annoying.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende