Jul 26, 2010

The Sofa is Complete

About three years ago, I wrote about my sleeper couch:
This is a low gray fabric covered couch which unfolds into a bed, and while the couch is decently sittable, the bed is incredibly uncomfortable. The four inch thick mattress has been folded so many times, its compressed the springs in spots and you literally feel the bars of the bed frame beneath your back spaced out every three feet. The best way to lay on this mattress is to lie parallel to the couch if you are short enough, or diagonally, with lots of padding beneath you. Interestingly, this was the same couch owned by my parents since before I can remember, and sold to Sally before my parents moved overseas for the first time about ten years ago. Now, Sally and Jonathan are moving, and the couch is passed back to the son like Anakin's lightsaber. The circle is complete.
I have expanded the circle- today I sold the couch to a new family. I'd originally posted it on Craigslist for $40, but slashed the price to $20 after a day of no contacts or questions. They showed up with a pickup truck and a big guy helped me muscle the couch down the stairs. I'd spent the morning toying with the idea of removing the bed mechanism and installing some simple wood reinforcing and MDF board, since I really did like the couch. However, it would have been a lot of work, taken a lot of time and expense, and there's no saying if the couch would even fit up the L-shaped stairs in our apartment in St.Louis.

Anyway, I'm still going to miss it. It's literally been passed around in my family and friends for decades. It's an incredibly hard wearing sofa- the bed may not be comfortable at all, but the fabric looks fantastic for being over 20 years old.

1 comment:

Nancy Case said...

I remember how, when you were six months old, you rolled off that couch onto the carpeted floor. You weren't hurt but I felt like the Worst Mom Ever for allowing it to happen.

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende