Aug 27, 2010

Basswood parade

I think this project is kind of a mixed bag of sucesses and failures. At this point our model is coming together nicely and we have our terrain figured out and people including instructors stop by and tell us how good it's looking. This is the basswood effect. Build anything out o the stuff and it automatically looks fantastic. I'm not really challenging myself there other than the challenge of high levels of craft (crafting models). I felt pretty good today until I was talking with another classmate. Her project is kind of an amorphous blob cut out of thick layers of chipboard. They were attempting to use bondo body filler on it to make it smooth and at this point I actually mistook it for her site. She was upbeat because, as she exained, they had really learned how to do complicated blobby nurbs in rhino in a team where no one had done it before. Additionally she got the experience if attempting of translating those computer generated blobs into physical models via laser cutter, a method I avoided basically because I was unfamiliar with the process and I was worried about the time of learning how to use it. So I basically did the same process I do for every project. :/

So soon you will see a very nice model that taught me nothing except basic rhino usage. There are other lessons that I am learning from this pre semester studio.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende