Aug 30, 2010

Fall Schedule

Here's what I'm taking next fall (hopefully):

Architecture Studio: This is the last of the "core" studios, which means beyond this studio I can take whatever studio I want. We'll be joining a group of students who came in to the school a year ago, most of whom have undergraduate degrees in things other than architecture. Up to this point, they have had a year of studios which focus on basic design concepts, but not an actual building. This will be their first studio to focus on habitable spaces. The studio centers on housing, which I'm looking forward to since I've never had a housing studio before. 6 credit hours but really I'll be spending the vast majority of my time here.

Environmental systems I: I think this is the old "landscape and site design" class about climate, environment, site, and building. 3 hour lecture.

Digital visualization workshop: More Rhino. Plus plug-ins to make it even more obtuse and detached from reality. On a Sunday. Yay. This is the one that required that no one knows about. At least its only 1 credit.

Metabolic City: Drawing and Urbanism. This sounds like a really fun class. Its part history, part theory, focusing on Japanese Metabolists, Situationists, Archigram et al, and mid-century modern architecture. Lots of work, lots of research, but its been highly recommended and I think that the focus is really fascinating.

Reconsidering the Margins: Creative practice on the fringe. This sounds like a class heavily to the left considering they used the word "radical" about nine times in the course description. Its essentially a re-evaluation of the relationship between architects and society, and architecture and business, especially in consideration of economic cycles.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende