Sep 6, 2010

Thursday crunch

The first week of classes weren't so bad. The second week of classes, coming up, will be a little hairy. Top of my list of concerns for this week:

  • A 1/2" scale model due wednesday at 1pm for studio. This is basically a "habitable box" project which is a pain mostly because it involves a high level of craft and a very large model. I'm basically creating an intricate 6"x1'x1'6" box out of foamcore, all hand cut. I'm about halfway done now, but the stairs are presenting themselves as a tricky problem.
  • around 50-60 pages that I need to read by thursday for my Reconsidering the Margins class. This weeks papers include transcripts from civil rights hearings, and various theories of urban decline and rise of suburbia ranging from moderate right to outright accusations that the rise of suburbia was engineered by the Conservative elite as a means to consolidate power.
  • a 1 page paper that needs to get written in response to the readings, which can be on the theme of the writings, pit one reading against another, or select one of the readings for comment based on personal experience, also due thursday.
  • Some light reading about buildings and climate.
  • A small data-gathering project comparing the climate of two sites in the world, also for thursday.
  • the feeling that this is going to be a "light" workload for the semester, and additionally, I have a class I haven't even taken yet, which I have a feeling is going to be also very very heavy on the readings.
Speaking of readings, I was kicking around getting an E-Book reader with my birthday money. They're pretty cheap ($140 for an Amazon Kindle), and I can read PDFs on them so I don't end up printing out a half-ream of paper every week. However, the screen size is still pretty small on the Kindle, and the biggest con is that I can't note the sheet directly as I read, which is how I go back later to gather my thoughts and reflections on the readings. So I don't think that is happening. The big sized kindle is close to $400 which is getting closer to the iPad range starting around $500 so I don't think that's happening either. I'm still waiting for the ultimate e-ink tablet. 

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende