Mar 4, 2011

The Crusader

Another friday posting...

We had desk crits today and we were in general torn apart, debased, and lambasted for both the lack of work and its low quality. I must commend my studio professor for his dedication to the craft and the studio-the energy and frustration with us he brings to tear us down at every single class would not be sustained by someone who didn't care as much. I myself have grown such a thick skin to it, that I don't even feel the difference between a good and a bad review. There are no good reviews, although today, I got a desk critique which was essentially, "you're proposing something architectural, which is commendable, but you're still lazy, sloppy, and have no sense of color or graphic design." I also took the last spot on the sign up sheet, with my review well beyond the normal "studio" hours, so I got my professor at the end of the day. By the time I got down to happy hour downstairs, they'd sold out (here's a tip: they're buying less beer) but one of my studio mates, Sam, had bought me a beer and saved it for taking the last spot on the list. And really, at the end of the day, its not like we're going to be fired. We could all get C's which would require us to retake a studio and would kill our GPAs and financial aid situations, but that's besides the point.

Actually, its kind of nice to be part of a studio which is not the typical "post katrina New Orleans design a raised house" kind of studio. It's not a "make it right" project- its really a studio that awkwardly stumbles between infrastructure/civil engineering, planning, and architecture. The project I'm proposing has my own programming, but could be a fairly sophisticated insertion linking several previous proposals and developments for the site area.

Anyway, got a long week ahead of me, with a mid-review friday, and the sound of falling rain is making it hard to stay awake.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende