Jul 23, 2011

The new social media

Today I joined Spotify, which I think will be the streaming media player to kill all other streaming media players. Last semester was all about grooveshark, which is great because you can run it from any web browser, but the downside of course, is that it operates on a takedown basis- that they put everything up until the copyright owner tells them to take it down. So that does limit things somewhat, but at least you get really new or really obscure bands able to post their stuff so its great for discovery- what myspace aspired to become. 

I also recently joined Google+ which doesn't seem like a facebook killer to me, but is interesting and better thought out. We'll see what direction it goes in. I hope that it becomes much more of a website/experience sharing site more than a "saw a funny sign today LOL" kind of posting site. Cache will carry it for a little while, as its still on an invitational basis only, and its more sophisticated than FB, but we'll see how it goes. If no one uses it, it will be betamax all over again.

This summer is draining away. I still hate mom's car, but now Saori's driving stick (and she's actually better at it than I am) so at least I'm not driving all the time. I can't believe we're all on our way out of town in less than three weeks. 

Today was a busy day. After I dropped mom off at school to study early in the morning, I picked up Saori and we went to get some coffee with Tay and Brit where we strategized over moving logistics. Afterwards, we went to Ikea and had a meatball lunch and looked around for furniture. Then, I had to pick mom up, so we drove back to Tempe and I dropped Saori so she could take the light rail up to downtown Phoenix. I dropped mom off at her house and drove up to George & Dragon in downtown. We met up there with two of Saori's friends from one of her old workplaces, and we spent a cheerful few hours drinking beer and gossiping about the industry. Architecture is a small world, and the people who socialize with other architects is an even smaller world. 

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende