Aug 29, 2012

First day of classes

Yesterday was my last first day of classes.

I'll never have a first day of school again.

My first class is required- Professional Practice, which encompasses such topics as "Architecture- A Service Profession" and "How to Cover Your Ass" and "Starting Your Own Firm." There is a lot I do have to learn about how the profession works but I am not encouraged by the time-filling activities. We spent most of our time this first class explaining how/why we got into architecture in the first place. My easy response is "Lego's."

We also got a case study packet with a fictional company (Waddel and Dobb Assoc. [they must be a very old fashioned firm]) and their subsequent legal and financial troubles. Case study packets! It makes me think of my mom and brother in law school. This could be very interesting.

Today was our first day of studio as well. We met our instructors- I got Ben, the professor I had for design thinking, and he was my first choice in the list I'd sent off a week ago. It sounds like they gave almost everyone their first choice in desired degree project professors. Not much to go over today. Just the introductory speech.
  • DP is about the bridge from academic to professional
  • it's self-driven, professors are your guide, but your work is your own
  • you won't have the other students working on the same projects as a crutch (anymore)
  • don't freak out
  • work hard, think, be bold, take risks.
  • etc. etc.
I think I may try using the tumblr format to document DP and put this on partial hiatus- we'll see. I do like the written word, and the therapeutic qualities of blogging.

In the meanwhile, keep tabs on my degree project work here.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende