Aug 27, 2012

Up at the front with the Flaming Lips

For my early birthday present, Saori got me tickets to LouFest, a two-day music festival in Forest Park in St. Louis. I love event presents- several birthdays before, Saori got me tickets to StarWars in concert, and also a great live show from from Muse.

We went to the park early to get tickets and secure a close parking space, and then we chilled out on a blanket and read away the hours, watching the clouds gathering in the sky. We finally wandered into the park around 4 or so, four hours away from the anticipated set from the Flaming Lips, the highlight of the festival. There were a few alright bands playing while we drank some beers and met up with friends, and then Saori disappeared with Cordelia for awhile and reappeared with rainbow face paint.

The folksy group Dawes was not bad, and we were right up front for that in a big group. After the Dawes set, the skies which had threatened so much for so long finally made good on their word. The heavens opened up and poured rain down on the event. I got drenched to the bone. I had the foresight to bring a baseball cap to keep the rain off my glasses, and crocs to at least let the water run out of my shoes, but after that hour ended, I literally wrung my shirt to get the excess rain out of it.

Our group had joined up with a group of what can best be described as Flaming Lips semi-groupies, people who had traveled from neighboring states to come see the band play, and who were pretty hardcore in their adoration. All came with rainbow tears and soon Saori introduced me to the girl who had a traveling set of facepaint who was happy to give me some rainbows too. And she also had a giant spice shaker of gold glitter, which was liberally passed around and applied to bodies and faces and hair. Fun people.

We were literally at the front of the stage, at the metal barrier separating the press alley from the edge of the stage itself. Socially, its a fascinating place. I got separated from my group when there was a rush to take the front of the stage area, and people who were behind the group I was with let me through to the front because they identified me as having been hanging out with that group for the majority of the time before. Position here is very jealously guarded. Up at the front, people chatted with the massive (and nearly all bald or close-shaved) bouncers/guard staff and random photographers. A young photographer allowed the girl with facepaint, to give him some rainbows as well, but then got harassed by the guard. Apparently no fraternization is allowed.

The concert was a lot of fun. I'd never seen a psychedelic band live before, and the whole show was super-trippy. LED screen flashing loops of eyeballs and topless women, a cadre of young, buxom dancing girls and a guy in a Tin Man suit who all looked like they'd been pulled from the audience a few hours before. An inflatable catfish in a captain's hat. White duct tape and rainbows everywhere. Omnipresent fog and lasers. I could definitely smell the weed being passed around in the crowd. Music was good. Fun, really fun music. "Yeah, yeah, yeah," and closing with a euphoric "Do you realize?" The lead singer jumped in a inflatable clear hamster ball and rolled around the audience.

Actually, since we were up at the front, there are a lot of photos with us in it.







A day and a thorough shower later, and I've still got gold dandruff and a few shiny sparkles on my face.

I'm so tired right now, we just went bouldering at Upper Limit. Dew encouraged us to try it, and we had a lot of fun exhausting ourselves on the V0 paths. Bouldering is like indoor rock climbing, except you dont use a rope and you don't go too high. It's a lot more difficult, actually. I was able to do two of the five V0 sets only after strenuous repetition. The paths are labeled by difficulty- V0 is the easiest. It goes up to V15.

Anyway, to bed. School starts tomorrow.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende