Sep 14, 2006

Skype

Ok, I finally joined the rest of the world and got Skype tonight. The clarity of voice was amazing. THe only problem was that my computer mic is broken, so the first time I tried having a skype conversation it was very one-sided. However, a friend of mine recommended plugging my headphones into the mic port, and that actually worked! However, the quality wasn't as clear for the other person, and I felt wierd talking into an earbud.

Skype is a way of talking over the internet, using the internet as a phone line. Talk about a reversal of roles... Anyway, its very easy and free to download and its free to "call" anyone who is also online using Skype. There is also the ability to make calls to real phones and cell phones for low rates from your computer. I'm very excited about this because I'm down here in Argentina and now I have the ability to call people. (which is kind of strange since people who know me know I'm not much of a phone conversationalist). But if you want to call me, download skype, and do a member search. Do a search for alec perkins, the only one in Buenos Aires.

But first, I need to get a headset.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende