Feb 12, 2007

Bikenomics

Today I bought a bicycle. It's an old used blue Schwinn Varsity road bike, with 26 inch tires. I am sick of Tempe's public transportation system (I call it a gross failure when I can WALK the mile and a half to school faster than the time it takes for me to get there taking the bus), and Saori's bike is way too small for me. Considering that the rest of my bikes have been stolen, I invested in the best lock I could buy. I also picked up a little LED headlamp which easily snaps to my handlebars so I'm more visible at night. Grand total $170. A tidy little sum of money to be sure, the bike itself was $110. Actually if I'd bought a cheaper used bike online or from the classfieds, odds are I'd make up the rest in repairs, new parts, shifters, brakes, etc. Everything on this bike works great. So I'm glad I got it. In terms of security, I'm storing it IN my apartment while its there. No more leaving it anywhere overnight.

Last weekend, Saori and I went to go see Pan's Labrynth, a movie by a Mexican director, and it was in Spanish with subtitles. Good movie, very surreal, very graphic, extremely bloody, and actually has the most terrifying scene I've seen in a long time. Not a movie to take the kids to. Very interesting though, the non-American director gave it a really fresh take. It's not what you're expecting.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende