Oct 29, 2011

Halloween party

This is my 900th blog posting in about 8 years of blogging. I'm within a hundred posts of a 1000 blog postings. Just thought I'd share.

I hate going to bed drunk, it just feels odd and unnatural. So I'm going to write instead.

I just got back from the MFA(Master of fine arts)/MArch (master of architecture) Halloween party, and I was not disappointed. The MFA students do all the decoration etc and set up the space, and really all that architecture contributes is the keg beer. But that still buys us admittance to the party.

It's actually one of my favorite events of the year- everyone who goes busts out an incredible costume. After all, its architecture and art students. Tonight, my favorites were:

  • dinosaur topiary
  • Chinese cowboy (wearing my boots, hat, and serape)
  • both Black Swans
  • The letters R and W from the scrabble game
  • A mounted deer head
but the best costume goes to a friend of mine, who came dressed as a paper bag full of fallen leaves. It was a great costume, and kudos must go out to Mr. Andrew Buck, currently in degree project.

This year, I decided to be topical and I came as a "occupy" protester. However, I was a little concerned about coming across as too conservative with a somewhat satirizing costume, so I opted to be a "Occupy Gringots" protester. The idea was original, but someone else already had it, and actually inspired a few quotes for my sign. The costume is very simple and cheap. I superglued some foamcore signs to a long stick of wood, and wrote "Occupy Gringots" on an old tee shirt.

The signs read: "1% of magical folk control the other 99%", "Hagrid is too big to fail", "Send Gringots Goblins to Azkaban!", and "It's time to straighten out Diagon Alley"

It was a pretty successful costume, although my black hoodie kind of obscured the "occupy gringots" phrase and icon that I drew on the tee shirt with a black marker.

The party was very fun. Lots of dancing, glow sticks, socializing, and beer. It's closer to home than school which let me take the bus both ways. Actually, I had no idea when the bus would come when I was walking back. I decided to stop and wait for a few minutes to see if any bus would come, and lo and behold, but 97 appeared on the other side of the hill, and saved me maybe fifteen minutes of walking. 

I would have continued the party at Matt's apartment, but by then, I'd reached my limit of beer, and with another class this weekend starting at 9, I wanted to be in good shape, so I ended up taking a pass. The party ended at 1pm and a group of classmates and I were the last ones on the dance floor. 

Now, I'm just drunk and sleepy. Trying to drink a lot of water and hoping that I'll remember to set my alarm for tomorow morning's class.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Congrats on the 900th post, that is pretty impressive. Much more dedication than most have. I don't think I have seen anyone as black swan yet, would be fun to see.

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende