Jul 3, 2014

Segway to stereotypes

Feeling a little under the weather today. Hope I'm not coming down with whatever Saori had a week or so ago. I think it's the combination of too little sleep plus way way to much meat last saturday.

Anyway, Shiva perscribed a stomach remedy from India that I tried out tonight: chugging straight ghee (clarified butter). Just kidding. The rememdy was basically a tisane of cumin seeds. You just boil them on the stove for about five minutes and drink the resulting brownish beverage, discarding the seeds. We'll see if it works.

Today the bus broke down on the way from the office, so I walked back to the main station, no more than ten minutes of walking. On my way, I was passed by a convoy of Segway tourists.

Watching them go by, I was struck by the fact that the Segway was really perfect for Germans. Here you have a culture which has no shame in how they look, driven by utlity, and with a fascination for all things mechanical, in a compact, pedestrian-friendly urban environment. German's really don't care how they look as long as it makes sense. Yes, Hugo Boss is an exception, but now I understand why the line is monochrome. There are many more people here in cargo shorts and hiking sandals than I ever saw in the US, and that includes myself who spent most of my late childhood wearing that exact same thing.

Kick scooters as adult transportation, which had a quick run on college campuses and in silicon valley for a memebeat or two, is widely prevailant here. Every day, I see someone dressed in business casual or even in a suit, thrusting themselves along the street to their place of gainful employment. I actually like the idea: I'd probably consider getting one except for the fact that the only parts of the city that aren't city center are uphill.

Tomorrow is the 4th of July. What that means here is that German plays France in the World Cup. I'd say that it's going to be a crazy time here, but these are Germans we are talking about here. If Juri's Boys are victorious, there will be a lot of whooping and hollering, and people will drive around with german flags streaming out of their car windows and honk some, but that will be it. There will not be things set on fire. There will be no climbing of street signage. They may not care about how they dress or how they appear on various forms of transit, but there is a heavy and ingrained sense of order and decorum. Society must be maintained.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende