Jun 24, 2005

James Bond at 10,000 feet

My last day in Gimmelwald, I decided to hike up to Schilthorn, a peak normally accessed by cablecar. The cable car fare to the top was about 80 euros, so I decided to hike it. It was one of the most grueling hikes I've ever done, including crossing two freezing waterfalls, hiking across massive snowflows in my treadless sketchers, and a perilous ascent up the craggy ridge to the top. The building at the top which included a restaurant in the round had a large room where they screened clips from 'On her Majesty's Secret Service' where schilthorn was the villians lair. I took the cable car down one stop, not trusting my flat bottomed shoes to a decent on ice and loose rock. In total I think I hiked about 10 miles.
Today I am in Munich, and this evening enjoyed the city center. Its pretty and baroque and modern at the same time. More later.

3 comments:

Nancy Case said...

I thought it was, "Fargo, James Fargo," not Bond! Tay and I are back from Turkey. We bought you a fez at the Grand Bazaar when what you really needed were some crampons!

Anonymous said...

Go to the Hofbrau house for the international flavor and people

Anonymous said...

Yes, the Hofbrau house is a good place to get some local food and culture.

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende