Sep 28, 2005

"Every man is Above Average, Sometime"

It was the best of tests, and it was the worst of tests.

My architecture history test was set up as follows: four slide comparisons of 7 minutes each, and two, 20 minute essay questions. I knew all 8 images on the slides, who built them, when they were built and where they were. I had all the factual data and the analytical data. I did fine on those I'm sure. I ran into trouble with the two 20 minute essays. The questions were so complex and had so many parts, I wasn't able to write all I could about them. Just didn't have enough time. I think I got a high B to a low A overall. I talked to the professor after the test. He definately knows me by now. He said it was his intent that we wouldn't be able to finish. I asked him how he could separate those students who knew what they were talking about but didn't have enough time to go into detail versus those students who didn't study at all.
He said he would know by the content of the essays. Anyway, we won't know our grades for at least a few months.

The second test I took yesterday was in human factors. The professor who teaches it is a portly, friendly guy with a white mustache and a nasal voice. He's the kind of guy I would expect to see in florida watching football on TV. He worked for awhile for Mattel and Disney, then kind of migrated back to teaching. His exam was laughably easy. Most of the questions had at least one throwaway answer too ridiculous to consider. My favorite question was:

The fallacy of considering the 50th percentile person as an "average" person is called:
(a) Average man envy
(b) the Fallacy of the Average Man
(c) The Average Man fallacy (this is the correct answer, in case you were wondering)
(d) Every man is Above Average, Sometime

Anyway, should see those results sooner than later, as it was all multiple choice.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende