Sep 6, 2008

Birthday

Thursday was a really boring workday. The only thing special I did was have a coke with lunch (as I've given up sweets at work). The only person at work to wish me a happy birthday was the woman in charge of posting that months birthdays up at the kitchen. 

My real birthday started when I got home. Saori had left work early, and she bought me a bouquet of flowers, and prepared a bag of presents for me. We played wii for awhile, and then we dressed up and she drove us to Scottsdale to Trader Vic's restaurant.

There's something special about this Trader Vic's. Other Trader Vic's I've heard about just aren't on the level, and while they're fun, they're nothing that special. Maybe its because this one was here back when the Valley Ho was in its original heyday during the 50s. It could also be because the decor and design and theme fits perfectly with the Phoenix of the 1950's, in its own playful version of the Palm Springs Modern.

It was really quiet at the restaurant, only a few other tables occupied. I ordered a Trader's Sling, which was a really good drink, just the right amount of strength. We ordered Beef Cho Cho, and fried prawns for starters and I got the bacon wrapped scallops from the wood fired oven. They were delicious. 

I opened my presents at the table. For my birthday, Saori got us tickets for the Arizona Opera production of Verdi's Rigoletto. If that wasn't a big enough gift, she also gave me a Wii arcade shooting game. Including dinner, it was a huge amount of presents.
I'm 24 now, which feels a lot older than 23. 

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende