Oct 11, 2010

Small things

There are small things I'm discovering living in a place with a seasonal climate. There's a huge difference between going to someplace in the middle of fall, and experiencing the change of seasons firsthand.

For one thing, I never knew how the leaves changed. I always kind of thought they changed at the same time, entire trees turning from green to yellow to red. I was pleasantly surprised by how I was wrong. The trees here change, but not all together. The extents of the tree, the topmost boughs and outside fringes begin to turn first, and it slowly migrates through the tree, following an unseen path, never exactly top-down. The trees are swirls of color.

The squirrels are running around like crazy these days. I don't actually go to school at a college campus, its a squirrel reserve. Especially the main quad areas.

We had to toss our pumpkin today. The one we bought together that was intended to be our halloween pumpkin was partially eaten by bunnies and then started attracting flies and ants. Jack be nibbled makes Jack go quick.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende