Feb 17, 2011

Haircut day

Last week, temperatures dropped as low as 9 degrees in St.Louis. Today's high was in the 70s. After this miserably long winter, these warm breezes strike me as odd- I no longer trust the weather. It's sad that this spike of spring is tainted by my memory of an inch of solid ice covering every surface. But I'll get what I can take with this crappy climate. I wore a coat today by force of habit, although it was merely cool when I headed home from studio. The windows in our apartment are open tonight, to circulate the air. I hope the days of high gas bills are over.

Today, being Thursday, I have no classes, so it was a working day of trying to get stuff done. Not so much studio stuff got done, but I fared better on my personal list. My hair was getting a little long, and finding an hour can be such a challenge later in the semester, so I went out and got a haircut. A classmate had recommneded this place called Cutters&Co., so I decided to give it a shot. At fifteen bucks, its really not much more than a CostCutters or a SuperCuts haircut. I made an appointment an hour or so before I drove down. The shop is a bit hard to find- its in the basement of a very nice hotel- the Park Plaza hotel, a few miles east of school on the edge of the Central West End. They validate your parking, and for $15 (student rate) you get a coke or a beer, scalp massage, hot facial towel, shampoo and cut. A pretty sweet deal, even factoring in a tip. Apparently they get a lot of students from the universities as their clientelle is pretty much by word of mouth only.

Afterwards, I stopped by Straubs, a gourmet grocery store, and picked up some chocolate and a few boxes of tea before heading back to studio with the windows down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bliz told me when she moved to St. Louis she had to start paying attention to the weather (especially during tornado season).

Before that, she couldn't figure out why the Weather Channel existed.

Sally

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende