Mar 29, 2012

Car Talk

What a day.
It's open house. 80 students fly in to the campus to decide if this is Wash U is the right place for them and they fly in all day. As a member of the GAC, I took a role in the pickups and coordination. The school rented seven huge minivans and we shuttled prospective students back and forth to the hotel where we lodged them for the next two nights. So did airport runs in the morning, and then took my car into the shop for a radical overhaul of my finances. 

The problem was that about a week and a half ago, I started noticing the aligment was off and the car was wobbling at low speeds, vibrating really bad at higher speeds. Since today was turning into such a wash with open house, I decided it would be a good time to figure out at least what was causing it. I did some reasearch online and I didn't like what I was seeing. It sounded like one of my tires was disintegrating and I did more research on tire durability and costs. So when I took it in, it was less of a horrible shock when I found out that I was going to need buy four new tires.

Actually, the mechanic showed me the tire and where the belt had broken inside which was giving me the wobble. The other tires were really bald, and I'd been driving about 44k miles on them, so I figured it was probably time for a new set. My wallet disagreed, but Saori and I need a car, so tires it was. 

That took a long time. A long time. 

Then it was back to shuttling kids around. Then a class which I was an hour late to visiting, and then back to shuttling kids around again for the late night run. And now its 10:30 and I have nothing for studio tomorrow. 

So.

Tea. And granola bars. 

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende