Mar 1, 2014

long week

It's been a long week.

Tuesday was the first practice presentation for the Phoenix downtown project, so I was busy picking up last-minute edits to the presentation. It was also the last class of my Speedy German I, and we were supposed to bring something to eat since it was a potluck. Since there's a lemon tree in the backyard, I've been making lemony things, so this time I found a recipe for "German Lemon Cake" or Deutschezitronekuchen which is basically a dense poundcake with a basic lemon glaze. It turned out to be really good. I may have to make it again before I leave.

Saori and I also had a big argument that started while I was making the lemon cake which turned into three days of difficult emails back and forth as we had a kind of heart-to-heart which cleared away a lot of old tensions between us. It was emotionally wrenching, but I was sleeping better getting everything out and hearing everything from her.

Anyway, I rushed over to the presentation which went really well, got a lot of good feedback and took notes on the improvements, before jumping out early and crossing town to get over to Ahwatukee for the last class. The lemon cake was a hit, although I was actually quite charmed by the Suessemaus "sweet mouse," a light roll in the shape of a mouse with raisin eyes and dough tail.

I was actually pretty sad to have the class end since I was really enjoying it and the interesting company of my classmates. I almost wish I was coming back for Speedy German II. Anyway, wednesday I went back downtown for the second round of practice pitches with the revised presentation. That session ended early so I was back in time for wine and cheese on the patio.

Mom and Larry are really enjoying the new house. Mom's favorite thing is still to grab a glass of wine and sit on the edge of the patio and watch the mountains in the sunset.

Thursday I met Sally and Jonathan and the kids for lunch at SmashBurger. I liked the place. Good food, really good milkshakes, local beer. It was good to see them all although Sally is concerned about Sara and we are all crossing our fingers that it doesn't turn out to be diabetes. It's too early to tell since they have to do a series of tests over time. Actually, I have a cousin in college who has type 1 diabetes and it doesn't seem to slow him down at all.

Today I worked on the rifle situation. My dad left two guns in my possession, an old rifle and an older small-shell shotgun. Dad wants to store them in Houston, mom wants them out of her garage, but the Federal government prohibits shipping guns to individuals. If you want to ship firearms, you have to send them to licensed dealers.

So I'm going to check them in my luggage. Apparently there is a process for this at the airport, which just requires more processing time, more paperwork, and dealing with the Theatrical Security Administration.

Also today I met Kiyomi-san, Jenia, and Rachel for lunch at the Heard Museum, which was a parking disaster because the lot was filled up with vendors and tents preparing for the overpriced native american arts festival this weekend, and the DWL lot was torn up to repair a sewage line. It was nice to catch up with everyone outside on the lovely patio, and drink copious quantities of iced tea while chatting about life and travel.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende