Nov 15, 2015

Evangelical

Hi there! Has anyone talked to you recently about Pressure Cooking? 

So many times, I hear the same stories- my parents brought me up on pressure cooking but I grew out of it, it didn't really fit my needs, it was so old-fashioned, pressure cooking is all about the socializing in the kitchen, I'm not interested in cooking, who are you and get off my porch, and so on and so on. 

Well, what if I told you that Pressure Cooking really IS relevant to your life? What if I told you that Pressure Cooking can really make a difference? I am not talking about the same old Sunday casserole or the overcooked goop the media wants to portray as Pressure Cooking, but a way of cooking that can really change your relationship with food.

The second through fourth words of the cookbook title The Joy of Cooking is "Joy of Cooking". Think about that for a moment. When was the last time you felt Joy in your cooking? Have you heard of this book? It has many great things to say about Pressure Cooking. The author of Joy of Cooking wanted to spread a message about eating things that are healthy and that taste really good. 

The problem is that cooking can be really hard sometimes. Cooking can be disappointing. Maybe you have tried some recipes that didn't turn out. When the bread doesn't rise or your dinner is inedible, it's too easy to turn away from cooking. I see so many refrigerators packed with frozen dinners and stuffed with takeout, so many people who suffer through Stouffer's.

You may be thinking, "this is all great for the people who were born British celebrity chefs named Jamie Oliver, but I have made mistakes in my life. I am an irredeemable cook." 

Friend, I am here to tell you that no matter how many times you tried to barbecue tofu, or toast a rice cake, that no man nor woman is totally lost in the kitchen. We are all weak, we have all ruined the turkey, but that does not mean we should falter in our path to reaching for the culinary sublime. 

Pressure Cooking is here for you. It is a gateway, a bridge, accepting of everyone with an open lid and 15 pounds of pressure per square inch. This is power. When you accept Pressure Cooking into your home, you will be amazed by the changes you see. I myself have seen three pounds of pork shoulder transformed into tender, falling-off-the-bone BBQ pulled pork in the space of one hour. 

Beans will have a new life in your meal planning. You, even you, may find yourself eating squash and enjoying it. 

Oh? You have a Crock-Pot? That's good. Many people don't even have a slow cooker. Now friend, you may disagree with me here, but I am here to tell you that a slow cooker isn't good enough. You deserve better. Sure, it's easy, you don't have to live with the mindfullness that Pressure Cooking requires, but you are missing so much. When you slow cook something, many of the nutrients and oils which carry so much flavor are carried away by the steam which escapes. Pressure Cooking locks that steam in so that all the goodness stays inside the pot. You see? 

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende