Jul 26, 2017

A Spoon Full of Sugar

Saori went to her yoga class today. It was a small group of women including her incredibly pregnant instructor, and the actress who plays the part of Mary Poppins in the local production of the eponymous musical.

It's perhaps too far to say that Germans have no taste- the entertainment that sells here seems to be either extremely 80's, extremely kitschy, or extremely spectacle-driven. Or all three. Procol Harum is coming to town. Starlight Express just ended a 20-year run in a nearby city. In Stuttgart we endured over a year of Rocky, the Musical and Mary Poppins, and the latest show to run for the next year will be The Bodyguard, the Musical. Needless to say, I'm already sick of "I will always love you." Meanwhile, in Hamburg, construction nears completion on the theater which will run The Lion King for the next thirty-odd years.
And these shows aren't cheap either. My coworker tried to get tickets for one of them, and a cheap seat will run you 80 euros. Most of these musicals, I might add, are also translated to be performed and sung in German.

I digress. Today I applied for a Spermüll permit, which basically means I can haul a bunch of crap to the curb and the city will come pick it all up for free. Whatever isn't scavenged, I mean. A nice thing about living in a high-density community is that about a third of what is set out on the curb is saved from the landfill by people who want that Ikea chair or old book or planter.

It's a little past 11pm, and I'm exhausted. I'm killing time blogging while I wait for my chocolate zucchini bread to come out of the oven. Baking for coworkers is kind of a thing here, especially for special events like birthdays. I'm going to bring it in the day after tomorrow, when it's at it's best.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende