Dec 3, 2005

the other cost cutters


Below are some of the images I presented at my architecture review thursday afternoon. They are mostly formZ renderings, with a couple of more "cartoony" sketchup images.

Last night, I rewarded myself for a successful studio project by going to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire at the Cine Capri in scottsdale. While it was a good movie, with a lot of great action sequences, it was definately an endurance test. The intensity of the movie was overpowering, and it could have used some quieter scenes for us to catch our breath. The acting has become a lot better, and the scariness factor has way increased since the last film. It really makes me wonder what the next few films are going to be like as the books are even darker than this one. Out of all the movies, I liked the third one best, followed by this one, and then the first and second one.

Today I also went in to have my hair cut with Jen. She was telling me about a hairstylists school nearby where they cut student's hair for $12. This is the same price as cost cutters, so I said I'd come along and get one too, as I was beginning to see the hair on the sides of my head. This place, the Carsten Institute, was quite an experiance. They took the entire top floor of this building and put in about a dozen rows of styling stations, each row with five stations back to back, so about 120 stations in all. There were about the same number of haircutting students, mostly young women and a few young men, all dressed in red tee shirts and jeans. They called up the students who were going to cut our hair and they came up and introduced themselves. I got a shampoo wash first, then I told her what I wanted (longer on top, shorter on the back and sides, and blended all around.) She pulled her instructor over, and he sketched out on her head diagram sheet what to do. It was really interesting, he called the line they cut on the "design line". The whole place had a real studio feel to it, complete with the alt rock music on the speakers in the background. Anyway, my student did a good job. She was pretty nervous, and her hand was a bit unsure with her scissors, but it ended up looking fine. She took awhile, moving cutting only a bit at a time, and pulled her instructor over twice more to make sure she was doing okay, and to ask him what to do about the hair over my ears. This was apparently beyond her skill set, because he carefully got the hair around my ears, following a curved line, and another instructor cleaned up teh back of my neck with the "buzzers." Then there was a final check out with the instructor where he asked me how she did. I said she did fine.
Jen's student had never cut hair of a client before, and had only been in the school for three months. I think this weekend was the first time for a lot of students. Jen's do was also much more complicated than mine, and the instructors did a lot for the student. Overall, it was a great deal, $12 for a shampoo and cut, although I think I'll come a bit later in the semester so the students will have more experiance.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende