Dec 1, 2005

Razzle Google Dazzled

Success! I went home last night, showered, shaved, and slept for three hours, getting up again at 6:30 AM. I finished my formZ images and dressed up for the review. Black slacks, tailored fit express shirt, my cashmere-wool overcoat, cap a pie. First stop was Kinkos. One person working there, asisting a person trying to mail a package to an unknown village in England. Unknown because the person wasn't sure which village it was exactly. I dropped my flash drive off and headed to school. There, I finished the model and rendered my site plan, using color only for trees and concrete. I biked back to Kinkos and picked up my pictures an hour later. While the first group of students was presenting, I added people with sharpie markers to my formZ interior shots, which was really kind of fun.

We presented five to six in a round , about 20 minutes apiece. Our reviewers were upper division faculty along with a few architects. During our lunch break, I hooked up my laptop to the projector port. No luck. Jen came down from her class, and took me through the steps. All the interior design presentations are in powerpoint, so she's done it many many times. She stayed to watch my presentation. I was really excited to see my laptop screen contents dispayed twelve feet wide. While the rest of the class and reviewers gathered, I had fun with google earth on the big screen, visiting cities and landmarks while people oohed and aahed.

At my presentation, I started with a google earth view of north scottsdale, then zoomed in on my project on the site, rolling down to see the mountains in the distance with the topography, then finally circiling the building and zooming to the entrance. I really wowed the jurors. From there I started off by talking a bit fast, but made myself slow down and talk more slowly. The people really liked my project. They commented that my sections were a little thin (they were really bad, just the bare building structure without furnature, people, trees, or a lineweight gradient, but it really only a scratch. They liked all my interior shots in formZ, and I think I just had so much other stuff, they could overlook the sections.

The main criticism was that I wasn't addressing the issues beyond the clients needs, that I was working from the data sheet requirements and not thinking about the role the library needs to play or do in the new wireless information era. Architecture should be about designing for what the client should aspire to, according to one reviewer. Overall, it was the most positive review I'd heard all day. Now its time to pack up and head home, pay bills, do laundy, and sleep.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende