Dec 7, 2005

Reading Day and Iconoclasts

Today I got up at eight AM and went to school to take pictures of my model in the dynamic early morning light. Later, I repaired my old model and took another series of pictures. I ended up completely exhuasting my battery and taking over 100 shots. As these models are too big to save or do anything with them, the pictures will be my only reminders of them, unfortunately as that may be. Its far better to give them a quick end than to have a slow destruction by time and Suki, who will be absolutely entranced with her new toy.

Also began seriously studying for my history of architecture test. It's a reading day, the day before finals are supposed to begin, so here I am in the library with our textbook going over the chapters and buildings. I'm up to religious structures in the 9th century, and the textbook mentioned the Iconoclastic controversy, a mouthful which caught my curiosity. Apparently, during the 730's when Byzantine was the shining light in the world of the dark ages, there was a huge debate which raged for a century over whether or not religious images (apart from the cross, God, and Jesus) should be worshipped. The Holy Church councils which met reversed their decisions on this several times over this period as the head of the church changed. In the meanwhile, thousands of icons, sculptures, and paintings were destroyed, defaced, or thrown in the ocean. The Eastern Orthodox church accepted the last decision, icons are ok, and began thier split from the church after that, which is why we see so many Ikons in slavic churches. Still not sure how this all relates to the modern Catholic church and thier stance on iconoclasm- but there's still more to read. Tomorrow is another big study day before Morton's test friday.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende