Apr 26, 2007

A Mediocre End to a Mediocre Semester

Final review today. Jury loved my design, hated my presentation. I didn't rehearse, too much to show, not enough organization. They ripped my presentation and boards apart, and the people who had been at my last review asked all about things I didn't mention that they'd liked. In short, it was a colossal failure of communication. My studio teacher jumped in to present part of my project, and the jury was so eager to understand my proposal they asked me to take more time to present it more. I had suggested placing a giant map of Phoenix on the floor, and my professor called it a brilliant idea. She also took my idea of putting blown up images around the outside of the display. I sat there, looking at a poster and a computer fly-through and I realized I was done with architecture studio. That's how it ended.

I'm tired. Last night after pinning up the posters downstairs a friend criticized the fact that I really hadn't touched the grain silos rather than putting a cafe on top. He sparked an idea, and so I had to spend the next six hours creating a seven-floor apartment building around the back side of the silos. I'm glad I did it, but I still got only a few hours of sleep last night.

At least it will look good in my portfolio.

1 comment:

Nancy Case said...

You are graduating summa cum laude and have a good job offer. You may have had a mediocre semester but you've had a brilliant undergraduate college career.

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende