Apr 3, 2007

Sketch class

Sketching class is difficult, but I'm glad I'm taking it. In a way, its the most challenging class I have right now. The sketchbook is not quite halfway done, which is incredible. I just need to keep on working on it nightly. Its a hardbound book, so I'll always have it which is cool.

The project we're working on now is an exercise in mixed media in concept exploration, especially if you have a site you don't know what to do with. We started with a photo of an alley, I didn't see any cool alleys here so I used a photo from Buenos Aires.

















Then we lay a piece of tracing paper over it, and cut out pieces covering what we thought were the most significant parts of the photo. Then we outlined the cuts with pencil, and added lines where we saw them in the photo.


















Next, we flipped the image to get a different reading of space, and added magazine cutouts to create a collage which described either a space or a series of spaces. We photocopied this to flatten the image.
























Then we mounted this image to a board and following the lines in the images, cut and folded the board to create a "gadget," a scale model of ambiguously programed spaces where gravity was relative to every plane and there was no clear orientation. This gadget we then photographed with scale people in it.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende