May 9, 2007

Las Abuelas

Monday night I turned in my sketchbook for my sketching class. I had finished 250 pages out of 400, which is at least 50 pages more than most people's books. I was sad to let it go, actually having grown fond of it while I worked on it. I'll get it back in about a month. After we turned it in, Saori and her roommate, me, my roommate all got Italian food to go and we had a picnic in the park by Tempe Town Lake.

Well, I took my last final yesterday afternoon. It took me all of 30 minutes to finish the short, multiple choice test. We'll see how I did. With that, I was done with ASU. No more classes, no more finals, no more submissions, no more paperwork. That evening, Sally picked me up and took me to a very nice celebratory dinner at Z-Tejas, and stuffed me with great food and berry cobbler. Afterwards, I went back to her house and she lent me her extremely nice SUV to shuttle my grandparents around.

My grandmothers flew in this morning from Oklahoma City, and I met them at the airport. They were thrilled to see me and extremely impressed with the car. They were shocked that I had friends who were so generous. I took them to their hotel near campus and waited for them to unpack before we went to a light lunch at Dilly's Deli. I dropped them at the hotel and went back to the college to hear the last two minutes of a meeting for all the graduates concerning the proceedure for friday's convocation ceremony. It was all online anyway.

Interestingly, I ran into my ex-girlfriend Jen in the hall, the first time I've seen her all year. She got a job at Gensler, a place she's always wanted to work, and it will be a great position for her. She'll be taking a year off too after she graduates.

After the meeting, I ran some errands, printed some ceremony stuff out, and finally went back to the hotel to pick up my grandparents. I showed them the apartment and my fat cat, and then we walked along Mill Ave. For dinner, we went to Macayo's and had big margaritas. It was fun, although I wish I had my whole family here.

1 comment:

Nancy Case said...

What attractive grandmothers you have! Good lucks must run in your family.

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende