Sep 6, 2010

Breakfast for Hipsters

Today, feeling much better, I took Saori out to breakfast at Winslow's Home. Located in a small old building with a large patio in the front filled with small tables, this is the epitome of affluent midwestern hipsterness. It's nominally a cafe, serving breakfast, lunch, and brunch, but it also offers a lot more. They carry a limited selection of locally grown organic produce (probably from urban gardens), delicious and expensive baguettes, a variety of locally made hummus and other kinds of casual dinner party foods. But they don't stop there. They also sell a bunch of kitchen and home goods of the type one sees at upscale or trendy kitchen stores,  in addition to sketch books, Danish educational toys, and retro toys and games for adults.

It's kind of like "Stuff White People Like" in a cafe format. I must say that the food was pretty good. I ordered the french toast with bananas and crumbled bacon ($6) with a side of a fresh squeezed glass of OJ ($3) and Saori got the Blueberry pancakes and a coffee. Everything was pretty good. Not the best food I've ever had, but pretty darn tasty. I like being there, I like being enticed by shiny, retro, ironic, sustainable, home and office objects, so I really can't fault it. In fact, they had a really cool method of storing bikes against the side of the building. It's basically a bucket with very thick walls curved in a certain shape such that when you put your bike in place in one of the notches, it rests against the other notch by its own weight, and voila, the bike becomes a piece of artwork on the building. I'll have to get a photo next time.

The rest of the day we spent in studio, where I realized that I have tons and tons of reading for my "Reconsidering the Margins" class, which is actually a lot more about social urbanism, especially in the history of St. Louis. We actually took off from studio early, and went out to the St.Louis Mills outlet mall to do some shoe shopping. I'm in need of some cold weather boots for tromping around in the rain and snow, so we hit up a few places to get some ideas of what is out there. Afterwards, we came home, ordered Papa Johns Pizza and watched Monty Python's Meaning of Life, which is actually more bleak than Brazil. Anyway, it was a very nice evening.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende