Aug 5, 2011

Let's make a deal

A few nights ago, when it was just Saori, mom, and I, we decided to try out a bite and a brew at place we'd never tried before in Ahwatukee called Mad Chef Gastro Pub. Stylistically, its about what you'd expect trying to make a strip mall eatery into an authentic British pub. It's a little thin- don't come expecting to be overwhelmed with the character like you get at George&Dragon. But that's just skin deep anyway- as a pub it has it where it counts- a variety of seating density (at the bar, at pub tables, at pub booths, or away from the bar at a large table or booth), and a good variety of beer, a lot of it on tap, served in the glasses sent by the makers. And the food is pretty good too. Not FourPeaks good, but pretty decent, especially for Ahwatukee.

Anyway, mom ordered a Peroni, I got a SanTan Devil's ale, and Saori got one of those German wheat beers with the monk on the front that I can't pronounce. They all came in distinctive bar glasses. Mom's Peroni was served in this glass:
The Peroni glasses. 
which actually Italian made imports, pretty much unavailable for purchase anywhere in the US. Taylor fell in love with them after being served many Peronis in them across Europe, and even tried to get some on Ebay to no avail.

So mom offered to buy them from the waiter.

She offered a higher than reasonable price for them, and the waiter asked his manager, and they agreed to sell us a set of four. So we brought home a little gift for Tay, which made him very surprised and happy.


hmmm makes me thirsty
I had a San Tan (Phoenix brewery) Devil's ale which was served in a cool shaped glass as well, and apparently they sell the beer in cans, which is good to know. I actually really enjoyed the beer. I might have to pick up a six pack or a case to take back with me to St.Louis, which surprisingly is falling behind in the brewery game.

Anyway, the lesson of the story is that almost everything is negotiable.

Today, I kept that lesson in mind when I went to Old Town Scottsdale. We were souvenir shopping at Bischofs/Shades of the West. It's a bit overpriced, and its got a lot of knicknacky stuff and golf clothes, plus hats that say "Scottsdale" on them, but they also have a great selection of more eclectic stuff from Mexico, like they had buyers troll the tourist markets across the border and bring back exceptional pieces. Lots of woven baskets as well.

Anyway, they also have a great selection of western hats. I'd picked up a woven straw hat at Nordstrom's rack at the beginning of summer when I arrived, and I'd splurged about $20 on it since I figured if I was using it daily for five weeks, that's pretty good economy since I'm walking to work every day. But I really wanted a leather hat for St.Louis, something that could handle the cold weather as well as work as a shade hat. So I took off my slightly worn looking hat and started trying on other hats. They have at least fifty styles of hats, so it was fun trying them all on. Meanwhile, a big guy steps into the area where I'm looking at my self trying on hats, and he's checking himself out with this other hat. My hat.

I said "hey, I'm sorry, that's my hat, I just took it off to try on these hats" and he laughs and apologizes and gives it back, adding that its a nice hat. On a whim, I offer it to him for $10. Without really thinking about the morality or legality of selling him my hat in someone else's store. He goes for it, and $10 richer, I'm more confident about buying my own hat. He's really happy as he leaves with my hat on, and I pick up a new leather hat.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende