Sep 25, 2013

Beans for dinner

Monday not much happened. I ate beans for dinner and spent the day working on some conceptual renderings. I scanned in my letter of recommendation from my boss and sent out a new application.

Yesterday, I walked to work and spent the day working on the same batch of renderings. It's fun, graphic work. Beans for dinner.

Today, I walked to work (past the King-Kos printing center) and bought a large orange-pineapple juice fresh squeezed. I will miss the pleasant walk to work and cheap, fresh juices. T was sick today, but she needed to review some work, so we all went to her house, I with the renderings I'd been working on.

She lives in Polanco, and we she wasn't picking up when we first arrived, but coincidently, one of my coworkers parents lives across the street, so we went up to their top floor terrace and enjoyed drinks and sunshine and the view while we waited.

T has a beautiful apartment in a small building at least 70 years old, guarded by two yorkshire terriers. I'm always curious about how archutects decorate their own homes. Her apartment has a lot gracefully curving walls, and a beautiful curving wall of operable windows. I liked the furniture, but the art was very strange, and so were all of the lamps. In her dining room, a graphite or charcoal sketch of fighting monkeys cut out of the paper to just include the monkeys was encroached by a strange wispy plant reaching into the room and framing the windows.

Even sick, T had a full schedule. We waited in her living room for about fifteen minutes for our meeting, and another architect she collaborates with came in after us.

After our meeting, we adjourned back across the street to A's house and hung out on her patio. We ordered a pizza for lunch and satiated ourselves on ritzy Polanco pizza.

We had taken a taxi there, but it took nearly 30 minutes. We walked back in about the same length of time. The teachers have once again closed Reforma with their marching. I took a detour by Legorreta's Camino Real Hotel and took a photo of the iconic sloshing fountain in the front. It looks like a shark violently thrashing around.

I left work early to meet K for noche de los museos, when most of the museums in the city are open late/special programs and events/are free. We went to the palace of the inquisition (no one expects the Spanish inquisition!) and joined a guided tour. The guide was strange. We spent most of the first hour of the tour outside of the palace, getting a lecture on the history of Mexico history from before the Mexicas arrived. His spoke simply- it was easy for me to follow what he was saying, but he was super long-winded (don't you just hate people who go on and on about minutes, like what they had for dinner two nights ago?). And he was also missing some important things. Like the name of the architect.

We saw some interesting things inside, but when my attention flagged around the 90 minute mark, I couldn't follow the Spanish so we bailed to get chocolate and churros at El Moro.

We walked back through the center of the relocated CNTE teachers encampment at the monument to the revolution. Its amazing to see. A mini city. Cables supporting tarps and tents everywhere waiting to clothesline you. It sounds like people are starting to return to Oaxaca, which is where most of the bussed-in protesters hail from. A surreal obstacle course. Beans for dinner. Actually, churros and chocolate for dinner.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende