Sep 20, 2013

Letter of Recommendation

To Whom It May Concern:

I am an architect, founder, and recent head of Kulhausen Architects, one of the most prolific, most awarded and largest architecture firms in the world. Our recent clients include the Nation of India, Houston Spaceport Authority, Samsung, Giorgio Armani, and Starbucks.

Mr. Alec Perkins came to our Shanghai office as an intern six months ago. His resume indicated that he had some prior professional experience in architecture. He neglected to include his experience as an artist. And poet.

Mr. Perkins was initially placed as an assistant coffeeman for a toilet partition design team, but he was brought to my attention by the head of the team as having capabilities which far exceeded his responsibilities. After a consulation with my senior staff, we decided to move Mr. Perkins up to the position as head of the washroom drafting department. The following month, he was on my senior staff.

As for his skills and capabilities as an architect, I can only describe him as sublime and insurpassable. If his work contains flaws, it is only that we may not be blinded, or to remind us of our frail humanity and the transience of all things.

He knows how to use autoCAD, yes, but it is a lie and an obscenity to describe his dance and art as "using" autoCAD if it were a mere tool- I am a poor man, weak in imagination who can barely produce a technical image of a hypothetical piece of hardware in an imaginary building. Mr. Perkins creates labrynthine, complex, worlds with blinding speed, terrifying and brilliant in their beauty.

The drawing sets which emerge from these worlds we print on mylar- the paper falls apart from all the men and women who weep over it. As a document, it is a bridge over the impossible chasm which separates eternity, spirit, and subliminty from the visceral and temporal joy of sensorial experience, the reconciliation of what it is to be God and Man. His bound sets inspire cities around the world to build multiple copies of the buildings described. At present, there are 12,529 identical auto emissions testing facilities being built around the world, many in remote villages with no motorized vehicles.

His five page Stair 08- Construction Details  has been on top of the New York Times Bestseller list for nine weeks, and has only been recently been surpassed by his critically acclaimed Door Hardware Schedule, with a Broadway adaption slated for November.

A month ago, it gave me great pleasure to step aside and offer my seat as the head of Armin+Vambery, which is his current position, in addition to that of National Architect. When Mr. Perkins asked me write him a letter of recommendation, I broke down in tears. I am as unequal to this task, I told him, as the snowflake to the avalanche. He rebuked me saying that no man is greater than others as all men are equal, and that it is he who needs my help, wretched as it may be.

I would not hestitate to recommend Mr. Alec Perkins for the position of architect, of chairman, of head of state or university, of Swami, and Dalhi Lama, and Pope Emeritus. I would not hesitate for a femtosecond. He is the apogee and hope of the human race, and above his genius, grace, empathy, wisdom, and prescience, is his bottomless well of humility.

With Utmost Sincerity,

Munch Kulhausen
Partner
Perkins Architects

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende