Jan 27, 2014

Student again

It was one year ago, standing on the icy steps of the architecture building of Washington University in St. Louis, the glow and drunken revelry from the final celebration of graduate school, that I looked up into the dark skies and said "I'm never going to be a college student again."

Guess who is the newest student at South Mountain Community College?

After the interview, I started looking more carefully at German classes I could take, and I thought, oh, it will be easy to jump in to a community outreach one credit program.

Turns out there is some paperwork involved. Actually, I spent an hour or two, calling back and forth with the community college, scanning my ID, paying for the class, registering as a student, all that kind of stuff. While it was far easier than, say, enrolling at ASU, I'm not sure it was really necessary for a 1 credit hour, five class Quick German course at an outreach center. I mean, I have a student ID number and all that. My tuition bill is less than $100, including fees.

We'll see. It could turn out that the class is totally the wrong thing to take and that I'm advanced enough for quick German II, in which case I'll see if I can switch over. At any rate, given my intention to be downtown around four and in Ahwatukee around six, we'll see how everything dovetails together. It may turn out that I bag the central phoenix meeting and go to Wednesday's and Thursday's meeting instead.

Anyway, after four years at ASU, two and a half at Wash U, I have a perverse desire to buy a South Mountain Community College hoodie.

Represent!

[editor's note: Alec finished a rather largish bottle of Ommegang Hennepin (7.7% ABV) and he ate a half plastic container of salad for dinner, so please disregard the last 3/4 of this post.]

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende