May 25, 2014

Bridge week

This week I spent most of my working time at the office working on a bridge design. The bridge is a twisting form filled with a gradient of perforations, so I've been working in grasshopper, an add on to Rhino (3D CAD software) to automate the panelization process. It's a long and frustrating process, probably second only to making each panel individually. But at the end, I was happy with where I ended up with grasshopper.

The next project I'm working on is renovations to an old house of a friend of the boss. Easier work. The office is kind of waiting right now for a new competition to be launched that I can jump on, and Leo is also leading a team rushing to finish another competition.

Saturday morning we split up to run errands. Saori went to go grocery shopping for the dinner that night and I went out to pick up some items and do my own shopping. From the Indian store, I picked up spicy green chilies and cilantro. In the city center, I got a connector cable to hook up music players to the speakers in the competition room where I work, and I picked up a small mortar and pestle for Chandra and Shiva so they can grind spices for their cooking. I also stopped by Feinkostböhm, a gourmet grocery store, and picked up a bottle of Hollunder flower syrup.

Saori and I kept seeing the same tiny white flowers we ate for dessert at Smøgen on plants around Stuttgart, and the smell was the same, a sweet citrus like aroma. It turns out they are the same, a plant called Hollunder, and they sell a syrup of it, which you can put on pastries, mix with sparkling water to make soda, or I want to try making pancakes topped with it.

Anyway, I stopped back by camp Fox to pick up a change of clothes and leave the mortar and pestle in the kitchen, and went back down to Saoris place, where she was cooking for dinner.

We had been invited to dinner with Ryan, one of the intern architects at Saori's office, along with his former roommates. Saori prepared a delicious asian fried chicken marinated in tons of ginger and soy sauce, and I made guacamole. Saori actually discovered a bag of small red chiles imported from Zimbabwe which turned out to be ridiculously spicy, so I was very happy and threw a few in the guacamole. Needless to say we had the best dishes there.

The guests and hosts were quite interesting. There were two young German lawyers (one of whom was still a student and got a little drunk to celebrate her one day off from studying), an enthusiastic young German woman with a British English accent with Mario mushroom earrings who does the local "teach for America" equivalent (and who is now exhausted after 2 years). Ryan is American, from St. Louis, and educated in Kansas City and now at Harvard for architecture.

One of my old coworkers from DWL, Nick, left to Kansas City for his Masters and ended up teaching there. It was strange and made me feel a little old to be having dinner with one of his students. His girlfriend, Jeehon, is Korean and also studying here. It was a nice night.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende