Jun 6, 2014

Endor

Yesterday I got off work at a reasonable hour, and took the bus straight back to Camp Fox. Finally, we had a beautiful day- spring in Stuttgart means a mix of cold, rain, an hour or two of pleasant sun, rain, rain, cold, and rain. I threw my laundry in the machine in the basement, put on my sneakers and crossed the street into the forest.


I live at the 'A' pin at the lower right corner.

The forests here are lovely- dense, filled with old trees and underbrush, many types of birds, and the largest snails and slugs I've ever seen. Running through narrow track trails last evening, it felt like the Endor 5K. But it's still not so wild. There are trails everywhere, discreet signage and way-finding maps, I continually pass large piles of logs from harvesting, and there are no wolves, bears, or even wild boars out here. Probably the apex predators are the small scraggly foxes which sometimes venture down into the city.

It felt really really good to run. It's hilly terrain, so a good mix of workout, and it was great to clear my mind and de-stress a bit in the fresh air and sunshine. I forget sometimes as well what a recharge nature is for me.

Anyway, just off screen is a huge hunting lodge in the forest, maybe a bit over 6K from my house, and now I'm excited to get back in shape enough to be able to run there.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende