Apr 27, 2006

Use the Force, Mr. Sulu

I'm working in the library, letting my laptop run comptuer renderings for my final boards due monday. The library has a reading room which has a glass wall overlooking the basement gathering area known as red square. I walked to this window and peered down. Several gay and lesbian organizations had set up tables and booths with a few staffers sitting and talking. I immediately notice one person is wearing very hairy pants, and it takes me a moment to realize that its a person in a Chewbacca costume with a dress shirt and tie. And then Darth Vader walks into my field of view.

There was apparently a lecture downstairs and I checked back again when I heard people coming out after the lecture ended. I look down onto a long line of people. There is a flash of light, and someone has just taken a picture of two people, both holding up the "Live Long and Prosper" sign. It's the guy who used to play Mr. Sulu on Star Trek, signing autographs and taking pictures with fans.

Otherwise it's a quiet evening here in the library. Today's edible benefits are a large stack of oreos in the breakroom/workroom. I eat a few. They're good for some quick energy, but I've never regained my taste for them after a friend compared the filling to crisco with sugar.

The Project is in the rendering stage. I'm trying to capture the best shots of my project in the computer model so that translates to a lot of rendering. The software is great at rendering- my water looks amazing- but the complex calculations of rays, incident light, shadow calculations, etc. chews up a ton of processing. I wish I had one of those high end gaming latops. They're specially designed to process graphics quickly and crunch those radiosity numbers. After I get a few more images, its on to revising my boards.

For the school, we're required to have 4 20"x20" posters on posterboard. And a model. And 2 30"x40" boards with our plans and sections on them. So this means I'll be spending some money this weekend. On top of that, I need to study for my history final this upcoming thursday. And structures is shortly after that.

Today I picked up a student bus pass. As an ASU student I can ride free all over the Phoenix metro area. The only downside is I have to ride the bus. Tomorrow I'm going to go on a test ride out to my mentor's office. There's a direct route which picks up a block from the apartment and drops me pretty much right at thier door. The only catch is that it takes about an hour. I can drive there myself in half that time, but with morning traffic on the freeway, it may be up to 45 minutes to downtown Phoenix. Plus, if I'm going to be doing this all summer, that adds up to a lot of gas and ASU doesn't have "fill up free" cards. It would also be nice to do something for the enviornment. Anyway, going to see how this works out, so I may present my findings via videoblog.

I've discovered that for me there is a direct correlation between feelings of parionia and how much sleep I get at night. I'm getting enough, but I can definately sense the change when I'm cutting back hours. Tonight will be a late/early night too, as I want to get a new set of boards laid out for my mentor to critique before I get them printed.

I may have found someone to watch Suki- a classmate of mine is recently married and they're going to be here next semester. They just have to look into the pet policy of whatever place they're going to move.

But back to work.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende