Apr 26, 2006

"We're all in the same boat, but mine is sinking"

Busy morning. Ran over to the International program office and dropped off some paperwork and a photocopy of my passport. Then went to the bank to see if the Western Mutual people had released the hold on the money I tried to send through thier website. They hadn't so I still need to call them since it was cancelled. Presented my material on Rogelio Salmona in class today, presentation went fairly well. This was only a sort of demonstration of where you are on the material and the approach you're taking on the 16 page paper due may 8th (Yikes! got some interesting research but nothing on paper yet!) Perhaps I should get started on that. Like really really soon. We had a short class today since our Argentinean professor was selected to give a presentation to a visiting delegation of Chinese from a Chinese Institute of Science and Arts. I told him to say "Ni Hao". He was really nervous about it too since HE still needed to work out his introductory remarks. The above quote is his. English is his second language, and he's thoughly enjoying playing with it.

Anyway, in architecture hist we're finally catching up to the present- opening with Renzo Piano's work in Paris with the Centre Pompidou and Robert Venturi. He asked if anyone had been to visit it, and I raised my hand and told the class about how Chase and I were wandering around and stumbled on it past midnight. Anyway, last class is thursday and then the final exam is one week from that day.

Our architecture projects final review is this monday. Yes, you heard me right, its due in five days. I'm really not that thrilled with how its turned out. I've got some interesting gestures, but its very conventional construction, and the big selling point is that it breaks the fence between the school and the park, but it does't do it that well. I should have stuck with the canyon idea, and blow off whatever the studio instructor said.

I had one teacher who as a studnet would work on two projects concurrently- one to distract the teacher and one of his own radical invention to be shown at the presentation. Wish I had that kind of time.

The housing issue is coming togather, I think Aldo Estrada, one of my Buenos Aire roomies, may come to live with me at the apartment here after Ben moves out at the end of May. I'll assume Ben's rent and the electric and Aldo will just pay me. Still no takers on Suki yet. Worried about that.

This semester has been like a master juggler throwing up dozens up plates high into the air: now they're all coming down and I have to be manuverable and plan well enough to break as few as possible trying to catch them all and bring this thing to a close.

Got really good feedback on the video. Maybe I'll make that a weekend update kind of thing. Maybe I can play with the quality of output on my end so it actually looks I'm talking in this one. Maybe suki will have an on screen cameow.

(groans all around).

2 comments:

Nancy Case said...

A cameow by Suki would be mewsic to my ears. I mean, it would be purrfect!

Unknown said...

that was AWFUL!

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende