Aug 18, 2010

Speed

Yesterday was my second day of orientation which was not nearly as long as the first. Once again, we walked to school, although this time we left earlier so we wouldn't be late. [2.2 miles] We got more specific curriculum information and a long lecture from the workshop head about the philosophy of safety, which was reassuring to hear. And that was about it. We then went to pick up our U passes which entitle us to free public transportation around the metropolitan area (and also regionally I think), and we walked back home [4.6 miles]. Once back home, I got a call from the bike shop letting me know my bike was ready, so I headed back outside and walked back down the hill to the bike shop [6 miles] and biked back up the hill [7.5 miles]. It's good to have my bike back.

Later in the afternoon, my RAM arrived. I realized I've been using 2 G of RAM in my computer, when really I should be using at least 4G considering the processor and graphics card I'm packing. My Dell came with two slots for memory, unfortunately one of which was located underneath the keyboard. The keyboard is secured by three tiny screws, one of which absolutely would not budge no matter what I did. Considering the large chunk of laptop innards below the screw I was trying to take out, I did not want to put all my weight on it as a skewered laptop has even less use than one with 2G of memory. I ended up stripping the tiny screw and with no other option, I used a very small pair of wire cutters to snip the small metal tab off the keyboard, thereby freeing it for removal. Once that was done, swapping out the memory and reinstalling the keyboard was a snap.

Afterwards, we went for a drive to target to pick up some insulated mugs. There's a coffee shop at the architecture building that will fill your mug for 70 cents, so that's a pretty cool, cheap option. Today is our first day of pre-semester "studio" which feels like a cheap trick considering that classes aren't supposed to begin until the 31st. Without having been the class, which begins at 1, I am assuming that we are going to be given a mini project to complete in order to bring us up to speed, familiarized with the studio and classmates, so that when classes start on the 31st we can hit the ground at nearly full speed.

This is my 700th post to this blog, which, starting from about 7 years ago, is roughly equivalent to a post every three and a half days. Readership is slightly up lately, from all across the globe, although the main search querries that take people to my blog are still the Mansion on Kyrene rd in Phoenix, and how to get to Jungfraujoch from Lausanne. Sadly, I have learned from experience that whenever I'm put high on the search response list for a querry, it usually means that I have spelled it wrong. If you did a google search for "onomatopoeia" for example, and spelled it "onomatopea," if google doesn't correct your spelling for you, its going to pull up all the more obscure web pages which have also spelled it wrong. You're going to get "hardwerdstospel.com" instead of "merriam-webster.com" and more's the case with place names.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende