Sep 20, 2011

Seven Terrible Limericks about Architecture

A large, scrap sheet of paper was left, so I ended up folding it into a book with seven spreads. To fill it quickly and easily, I decided to write some bad verse:



My closest companion's A CAD,
Rhino's eaten the memory I had.
I won't touch grasshopper,
(that buggy show-stopper)
When they say "Cairo pattern" I say, "plaid."


"Euclidean geometry's a pox!"
Cried the teacher who refused to wear socks.
His structures so squirmed,
No space could be discerned,
and they buried him an a rectangular box.


I'm on my fourth day without sleep,
and my pencils continue to shriek.
My computer is leaking
what appears to be Peking,
and everywhere, everywhere are sheep.


I've got great respect for Corbu,
and a fondness for da Rocha, it's true.
I think Rem's pretty kool,
and Ando's no fool,
but my very favorite architect is you.


"what is this thing 'architecture'?" is a toy
discuss designers with gusto and joy:
whether "art," or "a tower
as expression of power,"
or simply, "to let a girl see a boy."


Rival princes with great wealth and heft
built tall towers to leave the other bereft.
Gloated one "naught is longer!"
whence retorted the smaller:
"Yes, but look how it tilts to the left."

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende