Feb 16, 2012

Gambling

A follow-up to my blog post about ordering glasses online.

I used Zennioptical.com to buy prescription eyeglasses and they just came in the mail. They arrived in a padded mailer, inside a hard shell case wrapped in a microfiber lens cleaner cloth. They actually look better in person than they do online, which I was very relieved about. Several people have commented about how different I look with them on, and its so much better than my really scratched up glasses. The fit is fine, didn't have to make any adjustments at all to the plastic frame. 

When you buy glasses online at Zenni, you get one 1/4 turn view of them, and you can "try them on" on one of five heads. This was my reference head:


It looks just like me, right?

So I have to make a decision based on two views, some dimensions, any my own imagination.

On the flip side, the stakes are relatively low: These glasses were about $50, and that's frames, lenses, and delivery. I'm used to spending $300 for prescription eye wear. That's kind of like instead of buying a new car for $12,000, getting a very similar car for $2,000 without test driving it. It's kind of unreal and exciting.


Anyway, I was very happy to see the glasses on my own head today looked better than they did on this guy.
They are kind of caramel brown on the outside, with a laminated white layer inside and then orange translucent inside. A classmate commented that it reminded him of a 1940's surfboard. Most people's comments have been pretty positive. I'm pretty happy with them. My gamble paid off.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good lookin' perk. I just bought some glasses online at warbyparker. $100 all told, but they have some pretty cool frames. and apparently they give a pair to some needy kid somewhere for every pair you buy... charitable donation? ps wow this captcha thing on here is picky.

Anonymous said...

Anonychase Kimballous: WarbyParker is pretty cool. It really makes me want to order a pair of sunglasses. But I've got my pair which still works fine, (slightly scratched), and money is money.

becca said...

Looks good!
You can also try coastal.com in the future. Dean got his recent pair there and it came out to about $15-16 including shipping. There are often codes that allow you to get the glasses free and you just pay shipping and upgrades.

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende