Feb 10, 2012

Grasshopper


I thought I would share the work I'm doing in my Optimization in Parametric Design class. While I am highly critical of wacky forms for the sake of wacky forms, I decided to take this class because

  1. wacky form architecture as a style isn't going anywhere anytime soon
  2. I needed to learn Rhino and Grasshopper
  3. There's a optimization and responsiveness component to using grasshopper and Rhino in this way. 
This last point I'll illustrate with our assignment. In the screen capture below, you're looking at four triangles in Rhino that I scripted in  Grasshopper. I fold them open and close a few times to show how the "cell" operates to open and close using a slider in Grasshopper (not shown). Then, I use another slider to make the grid 10 cells wide and 10 cells deep so now I have 100 cells. You can see a point that I move around in Rhino that doesn't do anything. Finally, I change the parameter which controls how open the cell is from the slider to an algorithm which calculates how far away the center of the cell is from the point. The closer the point is the center, the more closed the cell is. You can see that as I move the point around, all the cells change depending on their proximity to the point.


No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende