Jun 10, 2012

Boston: 1 Chinatown to Chinese house

After about an hour of sleep on the short flight from Chicago to Boston, we touched down and I got my first view of the city out the plane window. From the first glance, it doesn't have the commanding skyline of Chicago- the tall buildings seem more anonymous. Then there is the relationship to the water, which twines with the city, a city of piers and water and the dozens of tiny sailboats and ferries in the harbours and rivers. There is the unmistakable hint of salt in the air from the ocean. Cooler, more humid air.

Chuck met me at baggage claim, he was excited to see me, and we rode into town after I bought a week -long metro pass ($15). I'm going to have to suck it up and get the monthly pass once we hit July ($70) as its the cheapest way to commute daily. (there's a fare hike in July). Then we were in the city, in the financial district, and we walked to Chinatown.

Boston feels a bit like London- I catch glimpses of a certain type of architecture, with dark stone facades, and slate shingle mansard roofs, cobble streets, worn brick. The age of the place comes through. But at the same time, the feel is thinner than london. London chokes on its own history, especially in the city centers. Boston is more contemporary. More glass, more banal corporate architecture, a lot of old brick buildings. But surprisingly low-rise. There is something nice to the old 5 story buildings- there is an intimate scale of the city like Helsinki. I got into the city late, so I never got a feel for it's pulse. It doesn't seem as cosmopolitan or vibrant as Chicago, but it could be where I went and when.

People really do have a Bostonian accent. They're not as friendly as the people in Chicago, but probably not as brusque as New Yorkers.

Chinatown was hopping. Lots of restaurants, a recommended Pho place to check out. We hit a nice hotpot restaurant and met up with Chucks' roommate, Dillian, a young actuary just out of school. Good food. We loaded up the seafood. Dillian was impressed I was eating everything, and I surprised myself with my appetite.

Metro and bus back to their apartment. They sublet from a Chinese couple and the couple renting above them are also Chinese. The landlord didn't speak much English, but I presented her with a St.Louis deck of cards for letting me crash here for a few days.

So, I'm showered, internetted, got my clothes out and just about ready to crash for the night in Chuck's chair. Work tomorrow at 8:30 am, and then the sublet hunt is ON.

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende