Jun 10, 2012

out of the blue

Maybe a month ago, the school career center sent around an email with a position in Boston with a largish firm there. Let's call them Mikasa architects. Anyway, a lot of people applied, including me, and I didn't hear anything about it until after school ended.

Shopping at the outlet mall, I ran into my friend and old roommate, let's call him Chuck (although his real name is zhouli), and he told me he got the position. Good for Chuck. If Saori and I didn't get it, I would have wanted it for him. I do think he's one of the most talented and sincere and nice people in the school. So Chuck flies off to Boston and Saori and I go off to Chicago and tour Oklahoma for two weeks and apply and interview around, hoping something will bite.

Then, a less than a week ago, Chuck posted on facebook that Mikasa was looking for a model builder. I hurriedly replied to Chuck to ask him the specifics of what was wanted. I sent in my resume and portfolio. Then, monday, he writes me back in the late afternoon that I should email a certain person a copy of my resume and some images of my work, so I go ahead and sent it tuesday morning. The in the afternoon, I get a phone call.

Even with all the backstory, it feels like it's a call out of the blue. All the other positions I've gone after was a long. long. waiting game. Interviews. Phone interviews. Portfolios. etc. So to get a call the same day felt surreal.

It was kind of a surreal call, an informal interview, and then I got offered the position, and I negotiated to fly out and start work monday.

Wow, wait. what happened?

 I took the rest of the day to reconsider. I'd really warmed to the idea of spending an idyllic summer in St.Louis, although I'd probably have to double the amount of financial aid I was taking out since I'm seriously getting low in funding.

The next morning, I called the firm in St. Louis I'd interviewed with and who seemed interested, but they said that if I had an offer, I should take it since they really weren't ready to make a decision either way.

So, I bought a ticket to Boston. I leave tomorrow (er, this morning).

Tay is here, he came up friday afternoon to return my car and get his back, and to hang out and see Prometheus in 3D at the IMAX with us.

So tomorrow, one a new adventure begins.

I have no housing set up since I'm having great difficulty getting people on craigslist to set me up without actually meeting in person, so I'm going to crash on chuck's floor for a few nights and find something hopefully sunday afternoon or monday afternoon.  And I start work monday (as in, technically, tomorrow).

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende