Aug 2, 2012

Otanjiobi omedetto Saori

Today was Saori's birthday and I celebrated by making her fried eggs for breakfast. My brother and mom both sent quite thoughtful gifts for which she was very thankful and enjoyed receiving immensely. I don't have any good excuses other than that Boston is just an expensive city and I'm barely breaking even as far as pay/rent goes.

I did take her out to see Blue Man Group tonight though after work. We got student rush tickets ($30, in cash, at the box office, an hour before the show). This is less than half the price for equal or worse seats. I've seen the show before in Orlando, in a much larger venue- it was interesting to see the show in a more intimate scaled theater. The one here in boston is slightly larger than a black box theater.

I enjoyed the show again, and Saori, for whom it was the first time to see it, also enjoyed it, although its never what you're expecting. The whole lets-turn-the-show-into-a-dance-club finale is kind of strange as well.

We went to a late night sushi restaurant in Chinatown for some rolls and beer afterwards. A good day.

At work, they fired the secretary after giving her a day's notice. They also hired on two new people, as far as I can tell, two people with master's degrees in architecture. One of them is going to be a combination of 'executive secretary' to the head of the firm, Mr. Mikasa (not his real name) and other various office tasks. She'll probably use her architecture background to pull up CAD files, print enlarged plans for Mr. Mikasa to sketch on, etc.

The office also recently hired another recent graduate with an architecture masters- he's a temporary aide to the IT guy. On the whole, while individual people may be nice enough, the firm seems to have a disturbing tendency to separate out the service work from the design work. I've heard from Chuck that they were feeling him out as to whether he thought I would want to come back and make more models for them, and I'll definately present myself as a candidate (who knows what the future might bring, having an ace in Boston is not a bad position), but I don't really see the model making thing leading towards design, unless I'm particularly clever about introducing design into the work I do. (granted, there is a lot of freedom in making something real and 3D from 2D drawings, but its not the same freedom to lay out floorplans, etc.)

No comments:

Medium is the message

I moved the blog again. I deleted the Tumblr account and moved everything to Medium.com, a more writing-centric website. medium.com/@wende